Sunday 12 January 2014

Nepean Redskins become Nepean Eagles

The Nepean Redskins announced their new name today, changing from being named after one NFL NFC East team to another.  Here is the announcement from their revamped website.
The EAGLES it is
Thank you to everyone who put forward ideas for a new name and to those who voted ... your voice has been heard loud and clear.

We now embark on the next phase of our great Club with a new name and colours.

There is certainly one big advantage of having an NFL namesake .. easy access to clothing, jerseys, hats and other swag.

We are working with our core sponsor and will shortly see Eagles product available at Source for Sports in Barrhaven.
The transition begins!
Well, that was a lot faster than I'd anticipated.

I'm not sure I could have come up with a worst outcome to this issue if I tried, however I want to be supportive of local ball so I won't comment much further.  It would be easy for someone on the outside looking in to critisize a group of people who found themselves in an unenviable position.  I'm not the one having to deal with the backlash over a decision that was made decades ago.

So okay, Eagles it is.  Moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment