Thursday 12 September 2013

History: Article about the formation of the Ottawa Football Club in 1876

The article below is a scan from, if I recall correctly, the Ottawa Citizen.  I believe it was dated September 21st, 1876, making reference to the night before as the night the Ottawa Rough Riders were born.  I point this out because records often show September 19th as the Riders' "birthday" but I'm not sure that accurate.



I am restoring this article from Capital Region Football.  Finding it in the library very much triggered my interest in recording the history of football in Ottawa (and region).  That the team was created in 1876 is very well known, but I think it has become just a number to many people.  I recall that one of the articles on the same page was about a disruptive Apache tribe in the southwestern United States.  Seeing that really helped set this event in its historical place.

A few years later, I find it a little ironic that the RedBlack name is being referred to as a "fresh new name that pays tribute to Ottawa's past".  Certainly, if you were to ask anyone what colours are associated with Ottawa football, it's unlikely anyone would respond "cerise and French grey".  They are indeed red and black.  But the Rough Riders, for some time, were actually very similar in appearance to that of the University of Ottawa (who, of course, are named after their colours).  The "Gee-Gee" colour scheme might very well have become the one most associated with football in this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment